Coin and Paper Money Collecting/2012 Silver Proof Set

Question
Why is the 2012 "regular edition" silver proof set trading at $150-$200 when the price of silver has plummeted?  It seems to be trading at the same price as the "Limited Edition" set.

Answer
Hi Tim, The Mintage of past year sets has been has high as 1 million+.  Fewer than 400,000 2012 sets were produced making it tough to find. It's all about supply and demand.  Another factor is that many dealers were caught off guard - not many hoarded the set therefore the distribution was scattered across that U.S.  The same situation occurred with the 1999 Silver Proof set and it had a mintage of over 800,000 sets!  The 1999 was issued at around $32, went over $300, and now trades for just over $100.  It is difficult to say at what price the 2012 Silver set will settle because of the Limited Edition set and the fact silver quarters sets were made individually.  Hope this helps explain the price increase.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Troy Thoreson