Coin and Paper Money Collecting/dr sun yat-sen coin

Hi Dmitry!

I inherited a box of coins and stamps from my grandfather and came across one that I cannot locate a matching picture to online.

It appears to be gold, the front of the coin has his picture, and it reads "1858-1925" beneath it. The flip side reads "The Former Residence of Dr. Sun Yat-Sen" with a picture of the residence. There is Chinese lettering below it - 5 characters reading horizontal.  I see a similar face of him on silver coins online, but not the years "1866-1925" on front.

Wondering if you knew anything about it.  It was located inside a circular plastic coin protector, and pressed in a red velvet bottom of an approx. 2 1/2 inch square box with ornate cloth covering it.

Thanks so much!

Hi Lizzie,
This sounds more like a privately made commemorative medallion rather than a coin. Is it possible for you to attach pictures of it to a follow-up question? Or you can email me pictures of it directly at
Thanks for the question

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dmitry Livshits

My specialty is world coins from the 18th to 20th centuries, primarily non-US foreign coins and related areas such as errors and exonumia (tokens, medals, etc.). I can answer questions relating to identification, grading, selling, preservation and evaluation of such items. In addition to catalog value, I can give you the practical market value and trends for specific types of coins. I will also take questions regarding counterfeits (both modern and antique) and on how to identify them. I am NOT knowledgeable in paper money/banknotes, ancient or "shipwreck" coins. Thank you.

Collector of world coins since early childhood. Access to a variety of auction records and reference material. You can also find me on Facebook.

A.S. in Psychology (2006), B.A. in Forensic Psychology (2008), M.A. in Forensic Psychology (2011).