Coin and Paper Money Collecting/kroningbijk der nederlanden 10G gold coins

In my collection of European coins, I have 10 G gold coins dated 1897, 1898, 1911, 1912, 1913, 1917,1925, 1926, 1927. 1933. One side has the head of "Koningin Wilhelmenia, God Zij Metons". They are in very good condition (not mint but stored in the original felt-lined case).
Do you have any idea if these are rare coins or what these coins are worth--other than the value of the gold if they were melted down. Unfortunately, I am in North America, where 'coin collectors' are only interested in the gold content--not the rarity or value of the actual coins.
Is there a market still out there for any of the original European currencies (pre Euro)--other than gold coins?

Hi Cathy,
They are by no means rare coins. Actually the 1911 and later coins are worth melt value in in lower-end mint state condition. The 1897 is worth around $50 above and the 1898 around $100-$150 above melt value in high non-mint grades with good eye appeal.
The market certainly still exists for these and other pre-Euro (and even modern Euro) coins, though it is difficult to find interested buyers locally. eBay is great for that, especially if the one selling the coins has a good reputation and ships internationally.
The problem is that with coins worth base melt value, eBay fees make it impractical. An honest gold buying dealer will give you a little below melt because they must make a profit as well, but eBay fees would cost you more.
Thanks for the question! =)

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dmitry Livshits

My specialty is world coins from the 18th to 20th centuries, primarily non-US foreign coins and related areas such as errors and exonumia (tokens, medals, etc.). I can answer questions relating to identification, grading, selling, preservation and evaluation of such items. In addition to catalog value, I can give you the practical market value and trends for specific types of coins. I will also take questions regarding counterfeits (both modern and antique) and on how to identify them. I am NOT knowledgeable in paper money/banknotes, ancient or "shipwreck" coins. Thank you.

Collector of world coins since early childhood. Access to a variety of auction records and reference material. You can also find me on Facebook.

A.S. in Psychology (2006), B.A. in Forensic Psychology (2008), M.A. in Forensic Psychology (2011).