Coin and Paper Money Collecting/NRA classic collectors series

Question
I have a NRA coin the whitetail deer. My question is not how much it worth but the background. What they stand for? Why they were handed out?

Answer
NRA Medallion
NRA Medallion  
Lizzy:

Tried to look for an answer, because I wasn't familiar with the piece. First, it is a token or medallion, not a coin. Coin term is used for a medium of exchange and issued by a country. These pieces were struck by a private mint for profit. It is possible a part of the proceeds from the sale was given to the NRA.

Here is what I found: NRA Classic Collector's Series - The collection features 8 matte finish, bronze, 1-5/8 inch diameter, medallions inside a black velvet booklet. The back of each piece features the NRA eagle emblem with crossed rifles. The front(s) of seven feature a different wildlife species: Mountain Lion, Grizzly, Elk, Whitetail Deer, Big Horn Sheep, Pronghorn and Moose. The eighth is a commemorative of the M1903 Rifle Series.(Origin and age of this collection is unknown.)

In addition, I found the NRA awards system provides a gold medallion to the regional shooting winner if there are five shooters, a silver medallion if there are at least 10 shooters, and a bronze medallion if there are at least 15 shooters. Sponsors are given the opportunity to purchase additional medallions, and the NRA will continue to provide team awards as well.

The Northwest Territorial Mint offers NRA medallions, see: http://store.nwtmint.com/product_details/2011/Range_Medallion_NRA/  and http://custom.nwtmint.com/aboutus_affiliations_NRA.php

Hope this helps. Please remember to go to the experts site to rate this answer. Check the nomination box on the rating page below any comments you may have.

Thank You and Good Luck in your collecting.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern