Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Old Coin or Medallion

Question
Front
Front  

Back
Back  
Hello and thank you in advance for your expert assistance! I'm wondering if you can help me identify this coin / medallion. I believe it refers to Louis XIIII and the peace treaty of the Pyrenees. I am wondering how to tell if it is a re-cast and am also wondering how many diiferent sets of re-casts were made. I have seen one that was made in 1960 but in comparing the two there are some subtle differences and mine appears to have a more silver than bronze look to it. I have been unable to find any photo or picture of another strike or an original. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Answer
Hello Britni,

This is a great question. To me the patina or finish on the coin looks like a newer replica. The correct diameter of this coin would be 38mm so you might want to see if you can measure it. From what I could find the weight should be 31 grams or slightly higher.

The best way to determine the authenticity would be to send it to PCGS or NGC. This would cost about $50 but would end any speculation.

The value of a real one in the condition that you have it would be about $350 to $500.  

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

David McConaghy