Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Pope coin/medal

Side 1
Side 1  

Side 2
Side 2  
Hello. A friend of mine found this coin/medal that belonged to her deceased mother. I was helping her out trying to find the coin's approximate value but I couldn't find any information on it.

On one side, it has an image of two popes facing west, and the words "JOANNES XXIII" and "PAVLVS VI". On the other side, an image of what appears to be an altar with the words "VISUM EST SPIRITUI SANCTO ET NOBIS" written on it, and the words "SESSIO SECUNDA CONCILII OE_UMENICI VATICANI II" on the side of the coin.

Hi Alejandro,
This is a medal from the Second Papal Council, which ran from 1962 to 1965. This one was issued in year 1, so 1962-63. The unfortunate thing is that there are few serious collectors for Papal items such as this. For practical purposes, it is worth it's weight in gold (it is .750 purity, or 18kt gold). A dealer specializing in such items would likely as around 50% above gold value, but it would be difficult to sell and would take a long time.
Thanks for the question! =)

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dmitry Livshits

My specialty is world coins from the 18th to 20th centuries, primarily non-US foreign coins and related areas such as errors and exonumia (tokens, medals, etc.). I can answer questions relating to identification, grading, selling, preservation and evaluation of such items. In addition to catalog value, I can give you the practical market value and trends for specific types of coins. I will also take questions regarding counterfeits (both modern and antique) and on how to identify them. I am NOT knowledgeable in paper money/banknotes, ancient or "shipwreck" coins. Thank you.

Collector of world coins since early childhood. Access to a variety of auction records and reference material. You can also find me on Facebook.

A.S. in Psychology (2006), B.A. in Forensic Psychology (2008), M.A. in Forensic Psychology (2011).