Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Presidential Commemorative Medallion

My wife's grandfather has a Presidential Commemorative Medallion.  It shows Abraham Lincoln's face with his name around the head and 1861 below the head.  On the reverse is written Presidential Commemorative Medallion with an eagle at the center.  Another odd thing about the coin is that it appears to be two pieces placed together. Any info or leads on how to get info on this coin would be appreciated.  he has asked many people about it over a period of years but has gotten nowhere.

With no photos, size, metal composition, etc., it is impossible to make an accurate reply.

I found many questions asked about similar pieces. Here is one that may fit your piece best. See:

If it looks like the photo in this reply, then it was not issued by the mint, but likely a private party. If pieced together, not a true struck collectible. Reverse design appears copied from Kennedy Half. Most likely made after 1964. Worth a few dollars at most to an interested collector.  

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern

I can answer most all questions relating to US coins, tokens, and currency. I'm not strong on world coins or ancients. Primary field of expertise is errors and varieties. Over 55 years experience in coin collecting. Part time dealer since 1976. Employed by McDonnell Douglas/Boeing for over 34 years as an Industrial Engineer/Technical Specialist before retiring in 2002.

Worked weekends for "Lonesome" John in the late 1960's to mid 1970's processing error coins, packaging, and preparing orders. Worked with John Devine and Fred Weinberg on several California Error A Rama's in the early 1970's. Served as display judge at annual Error-A-Rama coin shows. Opened and operated mail order coin business DBA "CAL ERRORS" in 1976. Contributor to Alan Herbert's "Official Price Guide To Mint Errors" and Fivaz/Stanton "Cherrypickers' Guide". Worked Saturdays at Huntington Beach Coin Exchange 1980-1999. Had table and sold coins at a number of coin and gun shows in So CA, AZ and NV. Sell coins, tokens and currency on Facebook. Past "Errorscope" Editor. Presently CONECA Examiner.

Errorscope, Numismatic News, Civil War Token Journal, Error and Variety News

AA Degree LBCC pre Engineering, 1964 BS Degree CSULB Ind Technology, 1968

1st Place EAR Trophy for Civil War Token Errors, NLG Author of Year Award for best monthly coin column "Error News and Views" in small Numismatic paper, owned and published by Ray Anthony.