Coin and Paper Money Collecting/venezuela gold coin

I have a Caciques de Venezuela Maracay (front) gold coin, the back has the eagle on it and it says oro lei 900, below the eagle, and siglo XVI above it, and that it was made in Caracas in 1959. it weighs 11.9 grams. Is this possibly a real gold coin or a counterfeit ????? Thanks Bob

Hi Robert,
This is part of a large set called the "Chiefs of Venezuela". These are medallions which were made privately as investment/bullion pieces. They were made in both silver and gold and of varying sizes. Yours is the larger size and it is indeed a genuine gold item. I have never seen a counterfeit of one of these, and the weight is exactly what it should be. They do carry a small collectible value premium when in perfect condition. For this size you are looking at around $475 practical market value compared to a gold bullion value of about $430 at present.
Thanks for the question! =)

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dmitry Livshits

My specialty is world coins from the 18th to 20th centuries, primarily non-US foreign coins and related areas such as errors and exonumia (tokens, medals, etc.). I can answer questions relating to identification, grading, selling, preservation and evaluation of such items. In addition to catalog value, I can give you the practical market value and trends for specific types of coins. I will also take questions regarding counterfeits (both modern and antique) and on how to identify them. I am NOT knowledgeable in paper money/banknotes, ancient or "shipwreck" coins. Thank you.

Collector of world coins since early childhood. Access to a variety of auction records and reference material. You can also find me on Facebook.

A.S. in Psychology (2006), B.A. in Forensic Psychology (2008), M.A. in Forensic Psychology (2011).