Coin and Paper Money Collecting/$100 bill

Question
I have a $100 dollar bill dated 1969 that does not have in God we trust on the back.  Is it worth only face value or is it worth more?

Answer
Pat:

Based on the information you provided, it is difficult to value your note. The date and series of the bill is important to know. The bills printed with the 1963 date were the first to have "IN GOD WE TRUST" on the reverse. Without seeing the note in question, or a photo, I can't say if it is normal or an error. It could be altered. Look at the area under magnification to see if there is any indication of ink removal.

Bills are printed in sheets of 32 notes and in three phases. The back is printed first and taken to a drying room. Next the front is printed and then allowed to dry. Last, the serial numbers and Treasury shield are printed in an overprint press. They then are cut and put into bundles of 100. Though errors are unusual, quality control at the Bureau of Engraving stops most errors from reaching the public. With billions of notes printed each year, inevitably errors are missed and find their way to the numismatic market and ultimately to collectors.

For more information, see: http://www.madehow.com/Volume-3/Paper-Currency.html

Link for history of the $100 bill: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_one_hundred-dollar_bill

You may want to check US currency listings on eBay from time to time to see if your note is listed what this type of item may bring.

If you live close to a local shop, they should offer an opinion as to the value and if it is authentic at no charge. Remember, should you choose to sell your notes, get at least two estimates from professional coin dealers (PNG). I've listed a link for you to find them in your area. Link: http://www.pngdealers.com/dealersearch.php

Dealers normally pay between 50% to 60% of retail for items they want. In an auction, you can set the price, and potentially get more.

Please remember to go to the experts site to rate this answer. Check the nomination box on the rating page below any comments you may have.

Thank You and Good Luck in your collecting.  

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern