Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1883 Gold Kalakaua I King of Hawaii coin

Question
1883 gold hawaiian dala
1883 gold hawaiian dal  

1883 gold hawaiian dala
1883 gold hawaiian dal  
Hello,
I have an 1883 gold hawaiian 1 D Akahi Dala. On the front it has "Kalakaua I King of Hawaii 1883" with a picture of the king. On the back of this coin it has "Uamau Ke Ea Oka Aina I Ka Pono. 1 D Akahi Dala" with an image of a crest. I have pictures and have attached them with this. I am wanting to know the value of this coin and possibly how to go about selling it. Thank you in advance.

Answer
Hi Tanya,

Sorry but that is just a gold colored modern replica coin.  There have been several of these sold on eBay -- mostly in the range of a few dollars.

The only real gold one of these has a 1991 date and has a different reverse design.

Wish I had better news for you,

Dan

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore