Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1883 Gold Kalakaua I King of Hawaii coin

1883 gold hawaiian dala
1883 gold hawaiian dal  

1883 gold hawaiian dala
1883 gold hawaiian dal  
I have an 1883 gold hawaiian 1 D Akahi Dala. On the front it has "Kalakaua I King of Hawaii 1883" with a picture of the king. On the back of this coin it has "Uamau Ke Ea Oka Aina I Ka Pono. 1 D Akahi Dala" with an image of a crest. I have pictures and have attached them with this. I am wanting to know the value of this coin and possibly how to go about selling it. Thank you in advance.

Hi Tanya,

Sorry but that is just a gold colored modern replica coin.  There have been several of these sold on eBay -- mostly in the range of a few dollars.

The only real gold one of these has a 1991 date and has a different reverse design.

Wish I had better news for you,

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore

My strong familiarity with all U.S. Mint coins, extensive reference library, and close relationships with many other dealers allows me to identify just about any coin made in the USA. I receive regular updates to all the current price guides -- both wholesale & retail -- to provide accurate values. So, with a good description or pictures, I should be able to identify and value any U.S. coin you have.

I've been a coin dealer since the 1980's and a coin collector since the 1960's. I specialize in U.S. Silver Coins and have an active online website -- The Working Man's Rare Coins -- -- offering information and inventory in U.S. coins.

Organizations I belong to :
American Numismatic Association Member #187770
Michigan State Numismatic Society Member #8255
Florida United Numismatics Member #19710
Monroe Coin Club Treasurer
Lincoln Coin Club Board Member
WINS Member #14
CoinMasters Member #1814

Frequently Asked Questions :
I have created a Frequently Asked Questions page on my website, where you may be able to get an immediate answer to your question. You can find the page here :

BBA from Adrian College