Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1884 S Morgan Silver Dollar

Question
I recently bought an 1884 S Morgan and sent it in to ANACS to be graded. It came back graded as an AU 50 coin - cleaned. I did not know it had been cleaned when I bought it and wondered how much this affects the value. I see current value at about $225 for an AU 50 with no issues.
Thanks!
Dave

Answer
Hi David,

Unfortunately, the impact is quite significant.  The value of the 1884-S goes up geometrically for each grade above Extra Fine.  However that also works in reverse.  When you get a cleaned designation on a coin, that generally causes it to lose a full grade in value -- i.e. the value of an AU falls to the value of an XF.  In your case, this is the difference between $225 and $40.  If you took the coin to a dealer, the amount you would get is going to be much closer to $40.

However, your coin does still have AU details.  So if you can find another collector that doesn't mind the cleaning, or still likes the look of the coin (like I assume you did), then you may still be able to get $150 to $200 for it, but it may take a while.  Or if you take good pictures of the coin, and the ANACS holder, you may still do alright selling it on eBay.

Good luck,

Dan

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore