Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1944 netherland 10c coin

QUESTION: I have 2-1944 silver 10c wilheimina koningin der nederlanden. With a D to the right under the date and what looks like an acorn to the left.Could you please tell me what they are worth?

ANSWER: Hi Vern,
The 1944-D coin is rare and counterfeits are much more common that genuine examples. Would you be able to post clear and close up pictures to a follow-up question on this site? That would really help in answering your question.

QUESTION: Tried taking a photo with my "Easy share"Too blurred.Any suggestions?

ANSWER: Do you have a digital camera with zoom or high pixel count, or even a good scanner? If the image is large enough I can see the details I need. You can email me directly at since this site will not let you post large picture files.

QUESTION: Since our last contact,I purchased a jewelers eye glass and discovered the D was actually a P on all three coins.Are they worth anything? And what would they have been worth with a D? Assuming they were not counterfeit.Thank you for your time.

Hi Vern,
The 1944-P is the most common in the series and they are worth just a couple dollars in circulated condition and around $5 in mint condition with full luster.

A 1944-D in good shape would be in the thousands and a mint state coin in the tens of thousands. Although over 25 million were minted, virtually the entire mintage was melted down before any of the coins were put in circulation.

Thanks again for the question.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dmitry Livshits

My specialty is world coins from the 18th to 20th centuries, primarily non-US foreign coins and related areas such as errors and exonumia (tokens, medals, etc.). I can answer questions relating to identification, grading, selling, preservation and evaluation of such items. In addition to catalog value, I can give you the practical market value and trends for specific types of coins. I will also take questions regarding counterfeits (both modern and antique) and on how to identify them. I am NOT knowledgeable in paper money/banknotes, ancient or "shipwreck" coins. Thank you.

Collector of world coins since early childhood. Access to a variety of auction records and reference material. You can also find me on Facebook.

A.S. in Psychology (2006), B.A. in Forensic Psychology (2008), M.A. in Forensic Psychology (2011).