Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1979 / 1997 two headed quarter

This past weekend, my daughter was going thru the change in my car and found a double headed quarter. One side is stamped with the year 1979 and the other side is stamped 1997. I am a little curious to find out if this piece is rare and if so how much could it be worth?

It's 99.9999% likely it has been altered after it left the mint. Two quarters were ground or cut down for two different dates to make your piece by joining them together. Likely it is a magic, or trick coin. It is not possible for a coin to have two heads or tails. The holding devices for the dies are different sizes for the heads and tails. These sell from time to time on eBay for a few dollars. Does it make a dull sound when dropped compared to a normal quarter?

Can you weigh your quarter? A clad quarter weighs 5.67g. You should be able to see where two coins were joined together by using a magnifier. It would be along the edge or on the inside of the rim.

For more info. on the quarter, see:

Sometimes you can think you have a real error coin. Here are examples of coins either being altered or damaged.
See link:
See link:

If you live close to a local shop, they should offer an opinion as to it's value and if it is authentic at no charge. Always try and get at least two opinions and try and deal with PNG dealers if possible. Here's a link to find one in your area:

Please remember to go to the experts site to rate this answer. Check the nomination box on the rating page below any comments you may have.

Thank You and Good Luck in your collecting.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern

I can answer most all questions relating to US coins, tokens, and currency. I'm not strong on world coins or ancients. Primary field of expertise is errors and varieties. Over 55 years experience in coin collecting. Part time dealer since 1976. Employed by McDonnell Douglas/Boeing for over 34 years as an Industrial Engineer/Technical Specialist before retiring in 2002.

Worked weekends for "Lonesome" John in the late 1960's to mid 1970's processing error coins, packaging, and preparing orders. Worked with John Devine and Fred Weinberg on several California Error A Rama's in the early 1970's. Served as display judge at annual Error-A-Rama coin shows. Opened and operated mail order coin business DBA "CAL ERRORS" in 1976. Contributor to Alan Herbert's "Official Price Guide To Mint Errors" and Fivaz/Stanton "Cherrypickers' Guide". Worked Saturdays at Huntington Beach Coin Exchange 1980-1999. Had table and sold coins at a number of coin and gun shows in So CA, AZ and NV. Sell coins, tokens and currency on Facebook. Past "Errorscope" Editor. Presently CONECA Examiner.

Errorscope, Numismatic News, Civil War Token Journal, Error and Variety News

AA Degree LBCC pre Engineering, 1964 BS Degree CSULB Ind Technology, 1968

1st Place EAR Trophy for Civil War Token Errors, NLG Author of Year Award for best monthly coin column "Error News and Views" in small Numismatic paper, owned and published by Ray Anthony.