Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1998-p Quarter

Front of quarter
Front of quarter  

Edge of quarter
Edge of quarter  
My daughter came home today with coins she proudly found on the beach.
Upon showing me the coins, this one really stood out to me, due to it being very shiny.
Upon closer inspection, I noticed a few things.
1. LI is missing in the word liberty.
2. There is no copper band on the edge.

I can send more photos if needed.

The few things I wondered.
1. Is it fake?
2.  Could it be silver?
3. Could it be worth something?

Thanks so much,
Theresa f.

Looks real from photos supplied. Key is weight, diameter and thickness of coin. P mints were not struck in silver, S mints on proof were. See: It may be plated, which would make it altered.

Sometimes you can think you have a real error coin. Here are examples of coins either being altered or damaged.
See link:
See link:

You may want to check eBay listings under US coins in the error category to see what regular errors are going for. You may also want to check out these links on error coin values:

If you live close to a local shop, they should offer an opinion as to it's value and if it is authentic at no charge. Always try and get at least two opinions and try and deal with PNG dealers if possible. Here's a link to find one in your area:

Please remember to go to the experts site to rate this answer. Check the nomination box on the rating page below any comments you may have.

Thank You and Good Luck in your collecting.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern

I can answer most all questions relating to US coins, tokens, and currency. I'm not strong on world coins or ancients. Primary field of expertise is errors and varieties. Over 55 years experience in coin collecting. Part time dealer since 1976. Employed by McDonnell Douglas/Boeing for over 34 years as an Industrial Engineer/Technical Specialist before retiring in 2002.

Worked weekends for "Lonesome" John in the late 1960's to mid 1970's processing error coins, packaging, and preparing orders. Worked with John Devine and Fred Weinberg on several California Error A Rama's in the early 1970's. Served as display judge at annual Error-A-Rama coin shows. Opened and operated mail order coin business DBA "CAL ERRORS" in 1976. Contributor to Alan Herbert's "Official Price Guide To Mint Errors" and Fivaz/Stanton "Cherrypickers' Guide". Worked Saturdays at Huntington Beach Coin Exchange 1980-1999. Had table and sold coins at a number of coin and gun shows in So CA, AZ and NV. Sell coins, tokens and currency on Facebook. Past "Errorscope" Editor. Presently CONECA Examiner.

Errorscope, Numismatic News, Civil War Token Journal, Error and Variety News

AA Degree LBCC pre Engineering, 1964 BS Degree CSULB Ind Technology, 1968

1st Place EAR Trophy for Civil War Token Errors, NLG Author of Year Award for best monthly coin column "Error News and Views" in small Numismatic paper, owned and published by Ray Anthony.