Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Coin Collection in Frames

I inherited my dad's coin collection and there are several framed collections (The Presidents Collection,Jefferson Memorial Collection,World War II Emergency Coinage Collection, etc.).  I've been told to leave them in the original packaging or frames.  My dad was an extremely heavy smoker and they are all literally infused with cig. smoke.  Can I remove the coins and repackage them without losing their value?  Can I have the coins professionally cleaned?  Or, being extremely careful, can I clean them myself?

Hi Phillip,

Unfortunately, the news is not good.  I'm familiar with these sets, and what they are is just common coins in fancy packaging.  Most of them will have a value of no more than a couple dollars per set -- the exception being the ones that have some silver coins in them, but even those silver coins will be very common, being worth only the value of the silver they contain.

So removing and repackaging them is not going to gain you anything, and having them cleaned -- either by you or a professional -- is only going to cost you money.  It's best just to leave them as they are.

Wish I had better news for you,

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore

My strong familiarity with all U.S. Mint coins, extensive reference library, and close relationships with many other dealers allows me to identify just about any coin made in the USA. I receive regular updates to all the current price guides -- both wholesale & retail -- to provide accurate values. So, with a good description or pictures, I should be able to identify and value any U.S. coin you have.

I've been a coin dealer since the 1980's and a coin collector since the 1960's. I specialize in U.S. Silver Coins and have an active online website -- The Working Man's Rare Coins -- -- offering information and inventory in U.S. coins.

Organizations I belong to :
American Numismatic Association Member #187770
Michigan State Numismatic Society Member #8255
Florida United Numismatics Member #19710
Monroe Coin Club Treasurer
Lincoln Coin Club Board Member
WINS Member #14
CoinMasters Member #1814

Frequently Asked Questions :
I have created a Frequently Asked Questions page on my website, where you may be able to get an immediate answer to your question. You can find the page here :

BBA from Adrian College