Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Double Denomination Coin

I came into possession of the coin in is a dime which appears to have then been struck with a penny stamp.  It is silver with the lined edging of a dime.  In looking at the coin you can clearly see Lincoln but then if turned counter clockwise you can see Roosevelt.  The date seems to be 1976 although the 6 is difficult to confirm.  

The back shows the Lincoln Memorial although the leafs of a dime can be made out.  

Trying to figure out if it has any value.  The coin has been protected since August of 1977 when I came in to possession of it.

Hi Nancy,

If the coin has truly been struck twice -- once with the penny die and once with the dime die -- it could be worth a couple hundred dollars.  However, if it's something that somebody made with a press and a couple coins squished together, then it's worthless.

Without seeing it first hand -- or at least seeing magnified pictures of both sides -- there's no way for me to tell for sure.  One thing that will usually give it away as not being genuine, is if the lettering in one set of images on each side is backwards -- like if you can see the normal LIBERTY to the left of Lincoln's head, but the image of Roosevelt is facing to the right and the word LIBERTY is on the right side of the coin and backwards.  This is almost a dead giveaway that the coin was altered after it left the mint.  So if the word LIBERTY from both the penny strike and the dime strike are both on the left side of the coin, this is a good thing.  It doesn't guarantee its authenticity, but it indicates it should be examined further.

I hope this helps,

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore

My strong familiarity with all U.S. Mint coins, extensive reference library, and close relationships with many other dealers allows me to identify just about any coin made in the USA. I receive regular updates to all the current price guides -- both wholesale & retail -- to provide accurate values. So, with a good description or pictures, I should be able to identify and value any U.S. coin you have.

I've been a coin dealer since the 1980's and a coin collector since the 1960's. I specialize in U.S. Silver Coins and have an active online website -- The Working Man's Rare Coins -- -- offering information and inventory in U.S. coins.

Organizations I belong to :
American Numismatic Association Member #187770
Michigan State Numismatic Society Member #8255
Florida United Numismatics Member #19710
Monroe Coin Club Treasurer
Lincoln Coin Club Board Member
WINS Member #14
CoinMasters Member #1814

Frequently Asked Questions :
I have created a Frequently Asked Questions page on my website, where you may be able to get an immediate answer to your question. You can find the page here :

BBA from Adrian College