Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Half sovereign

Gold Coin Australian
Gold Coin Australian  
QUESTION: Hi Dmitry, I have one half sovereign 1897. One side has Victoria head, and other side George and the dragon. It has no mint marks visible.

His weight is 3,9gr and his size is aproximately 20mm. It is real gold, I made a test.

I upload an image, i dont know if it is clear enought...

The question is... is it real one? How does it cost?

ANSWER: Hi Rodrigo,
It certainly appears to be a genuine coin. If there is no mint mark above the date, between the 8 and 9, then your coin is from Great Britain and not Australia. The surface appears a little rough in the pictures, like the coin had been used in jewelry or cleaned. Value for these coins is the same as the gold is worth even in good condition. The Australian ones would be worth more than gold value, but not the British ones. They are more common.
Thanks for the question! =)

Gold Coin
Gold Coin  
QUESTION: I scanned my coin and now you can see more details. At really it not looks good. But...  it cost the same price of gold? It is not fair hehe. 3,9gr, It is something like $ 150. Take a look the new photo.

Thx, Rodrigo

This picture is more clear and actually does not look like the coin was cleaned or used in jewelry. However, there is significant wear. These sell for above gold value in high grade. For an average circulated coin like this, gold value is the "practical" value. It might sell on an auction or eBay for $185 or so, but after fees you still get around gold value, and if you took it to a dealer they would also not pay more than gold value. At current gold prices, it is worth $165.
Thanks again for the question! =)

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dmitry Livshits

My specialty is world coins from the 18th to 20th centuries, primarily non-US foreign coins and related areas such as errors and exonumia (tokens, medals, etc.). I can answer questions relating to identification, grading, selling, preservation and evaluation of such items. In addition to catalog value, I can give you the practical market value and trends for specific types of coins. I will also take questions regarding counterfeits (both modern and antique) and on how to identify them. I am NOT knowledgeable in paper money/banknotes, ancient or "shipwreck" coins. Thank you.

Collector of world coins since early childhood. Access to a variety of auction records and reference material. You can also find me on Facebook.

A.S. in Psychology (2006), B.A. in Forensic Psychology (2008), M.A. in Forensic Psychology (2011).