Coin and Paper Money Collecting/mint error?

above the 3
above the 3  
Recently broke my foot, and have many hours of down time.   Ordered a few book, researched online, and have went though thousands of coins this week.  Found a few "weird coins" need some advice.  Here is one of them.

Hi Leah,

That certainly does look like extra metal on that coin.  Assuming there is no corresponding dent on the other side of the coin, I would say that at some time, the die that was used to stamp this coin likely got seriously dinged at some time, leaving a dug-out area in the die that caused this raised metal bump on your coin -- as well as others struck after this.

This kind of minor error is going to have limited collector interest -- value it at $10-$20

I hope his helps,

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore

My strong familiarity with all U.S. Mint coins, extensive reference library, and close relationships with many other dealers allows me to identify just about any coin made in the USA. I receive regular updates to all the current price guides -- both wholesale & retail -- to provide accurate values. So, with a good description or pictures, I should be able to identify and value any U.S. coin you have.

I've been a coin dealer since the 1980's and a coin collector since the 1960's. I specialize in U.S. Silver Coins and have an active online website -- The Working Man's Rare Coins -- -- offering information and inventory in U.S. coins.

Organizations I belong to :
American Numismatic Association Member #187770
Michigan State Numismatic Society Member #8255
Florida United Numismatics Member #19710
Monroe Coin Club Treasurer
Lincoln Coin Club Board Member
WINS Member #14
CoinMasters Member #1814

Frequently Asked Questions :
I have created a Frequently Asked Questions page on my website, where you may be able to get an immediate answer to your question. You can find the page here :

BBA from Adrian College