Coin and Paper Money Collecting/phillip III coin

Question
Hi, My question is what type of coin and if there is any value to the coin.  1621 PHILLIPPVS*III*DEI*G on this side there is a family crest with a crown over the top, it has M D on the left side of the crest with a small circle over the M, and an 8 on the right side.  On the flip side HISPANIARVM*ET*INDIARVNREX With what looks like a cross and diagonally the symbols are the same with the cross and symbols outlined the symbols look like top left angel top right letter bottom left the letter slightly different the bottom right the angel, its very hard to see what the symbols are and the coin is in great shape. Please if there is any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Theresa

Answer
Hi Theresa,
The description you gave is of a Mexico City issued silver 8 reales, commonly known as a "piece of eight" and was the Spanish colonial equivalent of a silver dollar. These coins were crudely made and are called "cobs", which are irregularly shaped pieces of metal. It is most often that not all details can be clearly read on coins such as this and many have been recovered from shipwrecks which makes the details even harder to see.
There are also many replicas of these coins. I would need to a see a clear picture of it to say if yours is genuine or a replica. You can attach pictures to a follow-up question on this site.
Thanks for the question! =)

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dmitry Livshits