Coin and Paper Money Collecting/silver/copper dime

hello i got a dime in some change today and in it was a 2013-p dime and on the backside of the dime it is copper and on the front side of it it is silver/nickel with the copper bleeding through is it worth anything?

Hi Charles,

What you have is known as an unfinished planchet error -- AKA missing clad layer.  Dimes are cut from long strips of copper that are coated with the silvery-looking outer layer.  This is why you see the copper stripe on the outside edge of the dime.  If part of the strip does not get coated, and a coin blank gets cut out of the uncoated area, what you have is the result.

These generally sell for a few dollars on eBay.

I hope this helps,

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore

My strong familiarity with all U.S. Mint coins, extensive reference library, and close relationships with many other dealers allows me to identify just about any coin made in the USA. I receive regular updates to all the current price guides -- both wholesale & retail -- to provide accurate values. So, with a good description or pictures, I should be able to identify and value any U.S. coin you have.

I've been a coin dealer since the 1980's and a coin collector since the 1960's. I specialize in U.S. Silver Coins and have an active online website -- The Working Man's Rare Coins -- -- offering information and inventory in U.S. coins.

Organizations I belong to :
American Numismatic Association Member #187770
Michigan State Numismatic Society Member #8255
Florida United Numismatics Member #19710
Monroe Coin Club Treasurer
Lincoln Coin Club Board Member
WINS Member #14
CoinMasters Member #1814

Frequently Asked Questions :
I have created a Frequently Asked Questions page on my website, where you may be able to get an immediate answer to your question. You can find the page here :

BBA from Adrian College