Coin and Paper Money Collecting/st George's medal/charm

medal or charm?
medal or charm?  

medal or charm?
medal or charm?  
Hi Dmitry

I was in my garden removing our old shed. i found this old medal/charm underneath the sheds sleepers which the shed stood on, the shed has been in the garden since the house was build in 1905. just wondering if you could have any information on it such as age  as i have tryed to find information online but never can find the same style as this one i have found. i have found some info on it but all i know is that it is a charm or a medal, not sure if it is silver,metal or just led, its about the size of a Brittish  ten pence piece, one side there is st George and the other a boat. any information from yourself would be greatly appreciated. thnx Scott

Hi Scott,
This design goes back to medieval times and ranges all the way up to the present. The historical story is that charms such as this were worn by sailors. The side with the ship has a Latin inscription that translates as "safety in the eye of the storm" and shows Jesus asleep and a sailor trying to wake him.
It does not look like silver, likely pewter or cast iron. Lead is not common with medallions, but it would be noticeable if the medallion felt unusually heavy or the metal could be scratched with a fingernail.
Age-wise it appears to be mid to late 19th century judging by how it is made.
Thanks for the question! =)

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dmitry Livshits

My specialty is world coins from the 18th to 20th centuries, primarily non-US foreign coins and related areas such as errors and exonumia (tokens, medals, etc.). I can answer questions relating to identification, grading, selling, preservation and evaluation of such items. In addition to catalog value, I can give you the practical market value and trends for specific types of coins. I will also take questions regarding counterfeits (both modern and antique) and on how to identify them. I am NOT knowledgeable in paper money/banknotes, ancient or "shipwreck" coins. Thank you.

Collector of world coins since early childhood. Access to a variety of auction records and reference material. You can also find me on Facebook.

A.S. in Psychology (2006), B.A. in Forensic Psychology (2008), M.A. in Forensic Psychology (2011).