Coin and Paper Money Collecting/10 dollar bill

ten dollar bill
ten dollar bill  
I have a 1985 series ten dollar bill in uncirculated condition that has a cutting error and a third print upside down.  What would be the market value of this bill.

Looks like a nice double error. Likely worth $300 to $500 to an interested collector.

Bills are printed in sheets of 32 notes and in three phases. Obverse print, reverse print, and serial numbers with seals print. It is likely your sheet was partially mis-fed and upside down during the printing, causing some of the printing to be missing. Your sheet, with the errors, went unnoticed during the cutting and final inspection phase. There are likely several others in your group that may have been printed with a similar error.

Here's a link with information on FRN's:
Here's a link for $10 bills:

Here's link for you to view different types of error currency and their values.

You may want to check US currency listings under errors on eBay from time to time to see what this type of error brings.

If you live near a coin shop, I'd suggest you let them look at the note. Most dealers will offer an opinion as to the authenticity and value at no charge.

If you should decide to sell your bill to a dealer, remember they will offer about 50% to 60% of the retail value. You should always get two or more estimates, and try and deal with PNG (Professional Numismatists Guild) dealers when possible. I'll list the link for you to check dealers near you.

To find a PNG dealer, see Link:

Please remember to go to the experts site to rate this answer. And check the nomination box on the rating page below any comments you may have.

Thank You and Good Luck in your collecting.  

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern

I can answer most all questions relating to US coins, tokens, and currency. I'm not strong on world coins or ancients. Primary field of expertise is errors and varieties. Over 55 years experience in coin collecting. Part time dealer since 1976. Employed by McDonnell Douglas/Boeing for over 34 years as an Industrial Engineer/Technical Specialist before retiring in 2002.

Worked weekends for "Lonesome" John in the late 1960's to mid 1970's processing error coins, packaging, and preparing orders. Worked with John Devine and Fred Weinberg on several California Error A Rama's in the early 1970's. Served as display judge at annual Error-A-Rama coin shows. Opened and operated mail order coin business DBA "CAL ERRORS" in 1976. Contributor to Alan Herbert's "Official Price Guide To Mint Errors" and Fivaz/Stanton "Cherrypickers' Guide". Worked Saturdays at Huntington Beach Coin Exchange 1980-1999. Had table and sold coins at a number of coin and gun shows in So CA, AZ and NV. Sell coins, tokens and currency on Facebook. Past "Errorscope" Editor. Presently CONECA Examiner.

Errorscope, Numismatic News, Civil War Token Journal, Error and Variety News

AA Degree LBCC pre Engineering, 1964 BS Degree CSULB Ind Technology, 1968

1st Place EAR Trophy for Civil War Token Errors, NLG Author of Year Award for best monthly coin column "Error News and Views" in small Numismatic paper, owned and published by Ray Anthony.