Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1821 8 Reale

Question
8 Reale
8 Reale  
A friend of mine has an 1821 8 Reale with what looks like an L in DEI (gratia)in place of the i.
All i have is the pic that i have attached as i can't gain access to the coin.
I'm not really after a valuation but more to to find out if this is a possible error or just "cud" on the coin.
The "L" bears a striking resemblance to the L's used in in British coinage for the 18th & 19th centuries.
I can find no reference to any error being made on an 8 Reale coin,so it's up for debate!
Many thanks

Pete.

Answer
Hi Pete,
This is the result of an error. For a struck coin this would be either from a die crack (a cud as you mentioned). However, I am always suspicious when I see these "no mouth" issues since many of them turn out to be fakes and these are usually the ones from Zacatecas with mint and assayer marks Zs RG on the other side. The extra material is also something consistent with a cast coin, as is the difference in denticles. The bottom ones do not quite go to the edge as the others do. Based on this picture I would treat this coin with a good deal of skepticism.
Thanks for the question! =)

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dmitry Livshits