Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1888 German Mourning Medal of Kaiser Friedrich-III

Dear Sir, I have been collection memorabilia related to the brief reign & death of German Kaiser Friedrich-III for many years now. One of the items I collect are the wide assortment of "death" medals/tokens. Recently however I came across and bought a medal that has a typical obverse design of the Kaiser and his title but the revers just has a wreath and the word "counter" in the middle. Can you tell me what this is? What does "counter" mean? I have looked all over the internet but found almost nothing. Thank you very very much for your help. Erich

Hi Erich,
By any chance did you buy this on eBay from a seller in the Czech Republic? The style of pictures looks very familiar.
Anyhow, "counter" refers to a game counter, used basically like a poker chip for card games where actual money was not involved. The fact that the word is in English leads me to believe this piece is of British origin rather than having been intended for use in Germany.
Thanks for the question! =)

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dmitry Livshits

My specialty is world coins from the 18th to 20th centuries, primarily non-US foreign coins and related areas such as errors and exonumia (tokens, medals, etc.). I can answer questions relating to identification, grading, selling, preservation and evaluation of such items. In addition to catalog value, I can give you the practical market value and trends for specific types of coins. I will also take questions regarding counterfeits (both modern and antique) and on how to identify them. I am NOT knowledgeable in paper money/banknotes, ancient or "shipwreck" coins. Thank you.

Collector of world coins since early childhood. Access to a variety of auction records and reference material. You can also find me on Facebook.

A.S. in Psychology (2006), B.A. in Forensic Psychology (2008), M.A. in Forensic Psychology (2011).