Coin and Paper Money Collecting/enquiry on value of one cent coins

Question
Dear sir,
on a casual day there were few people in our neighbourhood willing to pay Lankan rupees 5000 for pre independence one cent coins. Please enlighten me on this subject. Please also inform me where i can sell them. My mother in law happened to possess five of these coins and your expertise and advice on this subject would be of immense value.

Thanking you,

Answer
A Clever Scam

This is a gimmick to motivate you to bring out your old coins for sale to them as well as to sell at much above market value similar coins to ignorant buyers who think they can resell for a higher price.

I heard this story few months ago but did not pay any attention to it.
I confirmed with my trusted dealer that they only agree to pay Rs5000/- for a 1 cent coin of a Non-existence year of Issue.

Circulated pre Independence 1 cent coins sell for less than Rs100/-
The only rare pre independence 1 cent coin worth any significant price is  
http://coins.lakdiva.org/pattern/1942_george_vi_01c_pattern.html
and that was never put into circulation.

Few years ago they advertised in lankadipa willing to pay Rs7 lakhs for a Queen Elizabeth one rupee currency Note of 1940. She only became queen in 1952 :-)
They even altered the date on a 1952 note and passed around images of that.
That was a very successful campaign and they sold a lot of similar notes at much above market value to ignorant buyers who assumed they could sell it for a higher price.  

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dr Kavan Ratnatunga