Coin and Paper Money Collecting/misaligned $50 bill

Question
$50 bill
$50 bill  
I have a $50 bill that looks like it was misaligned toward the top when printed. It is dated 2004 and also has a star on the front. I was wondering if it was worth anything. I have included pics of both the front and back.

Answer
Karen:

Your bill has no added value as an error. The bill appears circulated. As a star note, it may be worth a few dollars above face. Each star note is unique, as it is a replacement note for damaged or error notes.  Star notes can have added value due to their nature and the amount printed. As with any collectible, condition is important. For a note to be considered a collectible cutting error, part of an adjacent note has to show, For it to be a legitimate cutting error, only one side is cut wrong, because each side is printed separately.

Bills are printed in sheets of 32 notes and in three phases. Reverse print, obverse print, and serial numbers with seal print. At least one sheet was misaligned when the face side was printed. The sheets, with the error(s), likely went unnoticed during the cutting and final inspection phase. There may have been several others with a similar error like yours to "escape" into circulation.

Here's the link for you to view different types of error currency and their values.

Link: http://www.coinsite.com/html/uscurrencyerrors.asp

You may also want to check the U.S. fifty dollar bill categories under coins and currency on eBay from time to time to see if your bill is listed what it may bring.

If you live close to a local shop, they should offer an opinion as to their value at no charge. If you should decide to sell your bills to a dealer, remember they will offer about 50% to 60% of the retail value. Always try and get at least two opinions and try and deal with PNG dealers if possible. Here's a link to find one in your area: http://www.pngdealers.com/dealersearch.php

For the history of the bill, see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_fifty-dollar_bill

Please remember to go to the experts site to rate this answer. Check the nomination box on the rating page below any comments you may have.

Thank You and Good Luck in your collecting.  

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern