Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Rainbow nickel

Hi Dan,
I have another question. I searched rainbow nickels and they have some pretty high prices. Can you tell me a little bit about it. I have one and don't want to get excited if it is just nothing.

Thank you again,

Hi Virginia,

If the toning is natural (not intentionally added) and it has lots of pretty colors, there are a bunch of collectors out there that will pay good money for it -- especially if you can get it certified by PCGS or NGC, because that adds an independent opinion that the toning is natural.

If you do a search of eBay's sold listings, and find a couple close matches to your coin, you can see what you can expect to get for your coin.  Depending on what type of nickel you have, the condition it's in, and how nice the rainbow toning is, it could be worth a few dollars or a few hundred!

I hope this helps,

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore

My strong familiarity with all U.S. Mint coins, extensive reference library, and close relationships with many other dealers allows me to identify just about any coin made in the USA. I receive regular updates to all the current price guides -- both wholesale & retail -- to provide accurate values. So, with a good description or pictures, I should be able to identify and value any U.S. coin you have.

I've been a coin dealer since the 1980's and a coin collector since the 1960's. I specialize in U.S. Silver Coins and have an active online website -- The Working Man's Rare Coins -- -- offering information and inventory in U.S. coins.

Organizations I belong to :
American Numismatic Association Member #187770
Michigan State Numismatic Society Member #8255
Florida United Numismatics Member #19710
Monroe Coin Club Treasurer
Lincoln Coin Club Board Member
WINS Member #14
CoinMasters Member #1814

Frequently Asked Questions :
I have created a Frequently Asked Questions page on my website, where you may be able to get an immediate answer to your question. You can find the page here :

BBA from Adrian College