Coin and Paper Money Collecting/State quarter double stamp?

Question
Oregon Quarter
Oregon Quarter  

1989 P nickel
1989 P nickel  
I work at a grocery store and I grab any unusual coin or paper money I can get my hands on. I recently found a Oregon state quarter that looks to have a small double stamp or something. Also I have a 1989 P nickel that seems to be all copper. I don't know if it was just left out in the elements too long and the nickel alloy rubbed off or what happened to it.

That you so much for your time.
Virginia

Answer
Hi Virginia,

Thanks you for the pictures.

It's almost impossible to tell when your quarter became the way it is -- whether it was done at the mint, or if it was done by a bored press operator at a machine shop last week.  It was caused by pressing two coins together with a lot of force, so it could have been done in the minting process, or it could have been done by anyone operating a metal press.  Therefore, it has minimal collector value -- basically a novelty item.

As for the nickel, it's just been exposed to something to cause it to change color.  Nickels are made of one solid metal alloy -- whereas quarters and dimes are made of a sandwich of shiny copper/nickel over a copper core -- so there is no outer layer on a nickel that could be worn off or removed.  Feel free to spend it!

I hope this helps,

Dan

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore