Coin and Paper Money Collecting/5 and 50 errors

5 and 50 front
5 and 50 front  

5 and 50 back
5 and 50 back  
Mr. Fern,
I have a federal reserve note 1950 D series with an F, I believe for placement.  It has an edge that is irregular. Could this be from the mint.    The 50 is a 1996 series and is cut strangely.  Do these bills have any value other than face value and are they errors?
Thank you,

Not the Mint. Bills are manufactured at the Bureau of Printing and Engraving. Can't say about the $5 with the irregular edge. The $50 can be considered a minor alignment error, but for it to have any collector value, part of the bill has to be missing from the border, and part of the next bill must be showing.

I'll provide you a link where you can learn more about the printing of our currency. and

Here's the link for you to view different types of error currency and their values.

You may want to check US currency listings on eBay from time to time to see if your note is listed what this type of item may bring.

If you live close to a local shop, they should offer an opinion as to the value at no charge. Always try and get at least two opinions and try and deal with PNG dealers if possible. If you should decide to sell your item to a dealer, remember they will offer about 50% to 60% of the retail value. Here's a link to find one in your area:

Please remember to go to the experts site to rate this answer. Check the nomination box on the rating page below any comments you may have.  

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern

I can answer most all questions relating to US coins, tokens, and currency. I'm not strong on world coins or ancients. Primary field of expertise is errors and varieties. Over 55 years experience in coin collecting. Part time dealer since 1976. Employed by McDonnell Douglas/Boeing for over 34 years as an Industrial Engineer/Technical Specialist before retiring in 2002.

Worked weekends for "Lonesome" John in the late 1960's to mid 1970's processing error coins, packaging, and preparing orders. Worked with John Devine and Fred Weinberg on several California Error A Rama's in the early 1970's. Served as display judge at annual Error-A-Rama coin shows. Opened and operated mail order coin business DBA "CAL ERRORS" in 1976. Contributor to Alan Herbert's "Official Price Guide To Mint Errors" and Fivaz/Stanton "Cherrypickers' Guide". Worked Saturdays at Huntington Beach Coin Exchange 1980-1999. Had table and sold coins at a number of coin and gun shows in So CA, AZ and NV. Sell coins, tokens and currency on Facebook. Past "Errorscope" Editor. Presently CONECA Examiner.

Errorscope, Numismatic News, Civil War Token Journal, Error and Variety News

AA Degree LBCC pre Engineering, 1964 BS Degree CSULB Ind Technology, 1968

1st Place EAR Trophy for Civil War Token Errors, NLG Author of Year Award for best monthly coin column "Error News and Views" in small Numismatic paper, owned and published by Ray Anthony.