Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1983 D copper penny

iv found a 1983D penny the weight is 2.3grams so iv done the drop test a good few times and it has the high pitch ringing sound and not the dull sound of zink pennys, iv looked at it with a magnifying glass and it looks copper not the way the new pennys look, the front and back are stamped very good  so its not worn down, could this be possiable maybe a under weight planchet that is copper? any help be great thank you

Hi Sandra,

Anything is possible, but in order for it to be a copper planchet, at 2.3 grams, it would have to be only 3/4 as thick as a pre-1982 penny -- a noticeable size difference.

Try making some calls to local coin shops, jewelers, pawn shops, or gold buying places, to see if they have one of those x-ray metal analyzers -- then you'll be able to tell exactly what it's made of.

Good luck,

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore

My strong familiarity with all U.S. Mint coins, extensive reference library, and close relationships with many other dealers allows me to identify just about any coin made in the USA. I receive regular updates to all the current price guides -- both wholesale & retail -- to provide accurate values. So, with a good description or pictures, I should be able to identify and value any U.S. coin you have.

I've been a coin dealer since the 1980's and a coin collector since the 1960's. I specialize in U.S. Silver Coins and have an active online website -- The Working Man's Rare Coins -- -- offering information and inventory in U.S. coins.

Organizations I belong to :
American Numismatic Association Member #187770
Michigan State Numismatic Society Member #8255
Florida United Numismatics Member #19710
Monroe Coin Club Treasurer
Lincoln Coin Club Board Member
WINS Member #14
CoinMasters Member #1814

Frequently Asked Questions :
I have created a Frequently Asked Questions page on my website, where you may be able to get an immediate answer to your question. You can find the page here :

BBA from Adrian College