Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Hamilton Mint 10 Commandments Charter Edition

Question
Hamilton Mint 10 Commandments Charter Edition
Hamilton Mint 10 Comma  
Hi Dan!

I was rifling through my parents attic searching for some possible Ebay treasure from my childhood when I stumbled upon something I know nothing about.

I found a 1977 Hamilton Mint 10 Commandments Charter Edition (series of only 500 units) in 24k gold electroplated .999 silver ingot set of 10.

We had inherited this when my mothers uncle passed away in the early 90's.

I know condition is everything to almost every facet of collectables and this set looks to be MINT MINT. It looks as if it was never even opened, let alone displayed. It has all of the paperwork with no signs of wear whatsoever as well as the original box with no scratches or signs of wear either.

I know absolutely nothing about this in terms of value. Some people says it's not worth anything over spot price for silver, yet others are selling these ingots separately for nearly $200 apiece. This is all very confusing to me.

Also I have yet to come across any information regarding the "Charter Edition" set (that I have) and have only seen images of was seems to be the standard "Limited Edtion" set which was released in greater numbers. I'm assuming the set that I have is much more rare? Also, being the 24k gold plated edition is presumably rarer of the rare as well?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. I am looking to offer this item for sale as I am not a collector and could greatly use the money if it is of value. I don't want to short change myself, or misrepresent it as something that it is not.

Thank you so much in advance!

Answer
Hi Grant,

While it's a beautiful set, and a limited mintage, you'll be hard pressed to find anyone willing to pay a significant premium for the set, over its melt value.  Charter or Limited edition, I don't think will matter much -- the $250 they've been getting on eBay is about all you could expect to get for the set -- that's just the way the market currently is.  The gold plating is of negligable value, and some of the limited edition sets are gold plated too, so I don't think there's going to be much added value there.

It does look like you may have some colorful toning on some of the pieces -- that could add some value to collectors who look for that.  If you list it online for sale, make sure you get some good pictures of the color.

Perhaps if you hang on to it, and the silver market goes up, then you might get more for it -- but there is also the possibility you could get less.

I hope this helps,

Dan

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore