Coin and Paper Money Collecting/medallions

would you happen to know what these are exactly? I have no clue thanks

Hi Russ,
They appear to be copies of a French commemorative medals set made in 1822. Originals have some info on the back including the birth and death years of the person shown on the medal in Roman numerals. I have seen later copies made of dull gray base metal, these are blank on the opposite side. As I can see the gold color flaking off and revealing the dull gray metal, and due to design being crude compared to the originals, I would say that is what you have here.
Thanks for the question! :)

You can compare visually this one:,144253612,var,Jean-Fernel-1822,language,E.h

and this one:,144253612,var,Jean-Fernel-1822,language,E.h

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dmitry Livshits

My specialty is world coins from the 18th to 20th centuries, primarily non-US foreign coins and related areas such as errors and exonumia (tokens, medals, etc.). I can answer questions relating to identification, grading, selling, preservation and evaluation of such items. In addition to catalog value, I can give you the practical market value and trends for specific types of coins. I will also take questions regarding counterfeits (both modern and antique) and on how to identify them. I am NOT knowledgeable in paper money/banknotes, ancient or "shipwreck" coins. Thank you.

Collector of world coins since early childhood. Access to a variety of auction records and reference material. You can also find me on Facebook.

A.S. in Psychology (2006), B.A. in Forensic Psychology (2008), M.A. in Forensic Psychology (2011).