Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1942D Jefferson nickel

Question
QUESTION: Wonder why 42D Jefferson in MS60, 63 & 65 is worth so much more than years with less mintage?

ANSWER: Hello,

The book value for a 1942 D Nickel is as follows:

MS60 $2.00
MS63 $4.00
MS65 $15.00

These prices assume that they are certified - you would get about half if they are raw. The price could be higher based on the estimated survival, not just the initial mintage.

David Mc

QUESTION: I use the 2014 edition of the official red book and that lists the 42D as $28 for MS60, $38 for MS63 and $60 for MS65. The4 cheapest I can buy one in uncirulated is
$59.     ????????

Answer
Hello,

The PCGS price guide is the most widely used price guide in the Numismatic hobby, the Red Book is not a valid reference point because it does not use any actual sales to back up its prices. In the PCGS price guide you can click on actual recent sales and look at the exact coin that sold.

Another way to verify the value would be to look at the recent closed sales on eBay -this will show you what the coins are actually selling for to real buyers.

Here is link to a real auction that you can buy right now - MS66 for $75.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1942-D-JEFFERSON-NICKEL-GRADED-MS66-BY-PCGS-AUBURN-TONED

If this were your coin you would net $38 after the eBay fees and the grading fee from PCGS.

Here is a link to an MS65 that sold for $44.95 with free shipping, if this were your coin your net would have been $8.55 after the eBay fees, PCGS fees and shipping costs. You would be better off selling it raw and taking your chances.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1942-D-5c-Jefferson-Wartime-Nickel-PCGS-MS-65-/331321032

Reality stings sometimes but like a flu shot it is well worth the pain to get.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

David McConaghy