Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Bronz coin with an S on each side

S coin
S coin  
I found this coin with some other stuff that was put away many years ago. It has nothing on it but a "S" on each side. The only thing I can think of is that it is a coin put out a football team, The Saskatchewan Rough Riders. The "S" is similar to there logo.
Any idea or direction of where to look?

Hi Doug,

Typically coins with numbers or letters like this were used as hat/coat check tokens at restaurants and nightclubs back in the 1940s - 1960s. After the 1960s they used plastic tokens that had the name of the establishment on them.

These coins/tokens were sold by many companies to use this way but it is possible that a school, fraternity or even a military organization could have used them. It will be difficult to give a specific identification as these were widely manufactured and used. They are very common and therefore have very little value.

David McConaghy
New England Coin Exchange

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

David McConaghy

I can answer most questions about coin identification, grading and counterfeit detection. I can answer questions about US and Foreign coins & currency, ancient coins too.

30 years experience as a collector and dealer in rare coins ANA Numismatic Scholar Owner of New England Coin Exchange I have been buying and selling coins in RI for over 30 years

Professional Coin Grading Service - PCGS National Guaranty Corporation - NGC American Numismatic Association - ANA

Cityscape Merchant Circle Numismatic News eBay Providence Journal Bulletin All Experts

Numismatic Scholar Certificate - American Numismatic Association BSEE - New England Institute of Electronics