Coin and Paper Money Collecting/dubble die reverse in blue.

Question
doubled in blue 1996 D penny
doubled in blue 1996 D  
I have a 1996 -D penny that is doubled,the odd part about it is that the parts that are doubled are  the color in light  blue.is this a common error for that penny or is it rare?

Answer
Hi Ruben,

What you have is not actually die doubling, but rather a form of strike doubling, caused by the coin blank chattering within the press when being struck.  The bluish color you see is the underlying zinc that got exposed by this strike doubling.

Generally, strike doubling does not have much value to collectors -- perhaps a dollar or so, if you can find someone interested.

I hope this helps,

Dan

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore