Coin and Paper Money Collecting/French coin

French coin 1867
French coin 1867  

French coin 1867 obverse
French coin 1867 obver  
My mother-in-law recently sold her home and while packing to move came across a tin box of assorted coins. Most of the coins are from the mid 1800's or early 1900's. The coins are French, English, U.S., Canadian and an assortment of others. One coin which was made into a necklace has the inscription EMPIRE FRANCAIS over a crown. Beneath the crown is the denomination 50 CENT and below that the year 1867. I have found this image on dozens of coin sites and in books at the library but all have the bust of Napoleon III on the other side. This coin has an ornate design which I have been unable to find anywhere. I am hoping you may be able to shed some light on this for me. I have enclosed a picture of each side.
Tom Blake

What you have here is commonly referred to as a Love Token. This is when someone takes a coins and engraves it with the name or initials of a loved one and presents it as a gift. This was very common from 1850 to 1920. We see a lot of these made from US half dimes and dimes.

As these were typically done to very common coins they are usually worth more as Love Tokens than as the original coin. I have not see too many foreign ones but I suspect they would carry the same value - around $10 to $20.

They are great keepsakes especially if you know the initials and can tie them to a family member.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

David McConaghy

I can answer most questions about coin identification, grading and counterfeit detection. I can answer questions about US and Foreign coins & currency, ancient coins too.

30 years experience as a collector and dealer in rare coins ANA Numismatic Scholar Owner of New England Coin Exchange I have been buying and selling coins in RI for over 30 years

Professional Coin Grading Service - PCGS National Guaranty Corporation - NGC American Numismatic Association - ANA

Cityscape Merchant Circle Numismatic News eBay Providence Journal Bulletin All Experts

Numismatic Scholar Certificate - American Numismatic Association BSEE - New England Institute of Electronics