Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Morgan Dollar

Question
Front
Front  

Back
Back  
I'm in the Army station in Germany and at a local German flea market a gentleman had a box of coins and I found what looked like a Morgan Dollar without a date on it and on the back it had a flying eagle carrying an American flag. I heard of coins being made with the Morgan Dollar front on it and different backs but this one looks really old and worn. I only paid a few euros for it. Have you seen one like this before? I couldn't find anything online about it. Thanks

Answer
Hi Chris,

While I have not seen this specific item before, I can assure you that it did not come from the U.S. Mint.  The obverse design is similar to the Morgan design, but there are significant differences.

This is a privately designed and minted token -- a novelty or fantasy piece -- perhaps a gaming counter.  It's not actually worn, but rather the flat areas are due to being weakly struck.  I'm quite sure that it's not a pattern piece, because it's undated and poorly minted.

It appears to be just an interesting, privately made, novelty piece.  It looks to have been made from base metal (not silver), so you probably paid about what it's worth.

I hope this helps,

Dan

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore