Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Morgan Dollar

I'm in the Army station in Germany and at a local German flea market a gentleman had a box of coins and I found what looked like a Morgan Dollar without a date on it and on the back it had a flying eagle carrying an American flag. I heard of coins being made with the Morgan Dollar front on it and different backs but this one looks really old and worn. I only paid a few euros for it. Have you seen one like this before? I couldn't find anything online about it. Thanks

Hi Chris,

While I have not seen this specific item before, I can assure you that it did not come from the U.S. Mint.  The obverse design is similar to the Morgan design, but there are significant differences.

This is a privately designed and minted token -- a novelty or fantasy piece -- perhaps a gaming counter.  It's not actually worn, but rather the flat areas are due to being weakly struck.  I'm quite sure that it's not a pattern piece, because it's undated and poorly minted.

It appears to be just an interesting, privately made, novelty piece.  It looks to have been made from base metal (not silver), so you probably paid about what it's worth.

I hope this helps,

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore

My strong familiarity with all U.S. Mint coins, extensive reference library, and close relationships with many other dealers allows me to identify just about any coin made in the USA. I receive regular updates to all the current price guides -- both wholesale & retail -- to provide accurate values. So, with a good description or pictures, I should be able to identify and value any U.S. coin you have.

I've been a coin dealer since the 1980's and a coin collector since the 1960's. I specialize in U.S. Silver Coins and have an active online website -- The Working Man's Rare Coins -- -- offering information and inventory in U.S. coins.

Organizations I belong to :
American Numismatic Association Member #187770
Michigan State Numismatic Society Member #8255
Florida United Numismatics Member #19710
Monroe Coin Club Treasurer
Lincoln Coin Club Board Member
WINS Member #14
CoinMasters Member #1814

Frequently Asked Questions :
I have created a Frequently Asked Questions page on my website, where you may be able to get an immediate answer to your question. You can find the page here :

BBA from Adrian College