Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1707 coin that apparently doesn't exist

Hi I have a coin dating 1707, it is 35mm dia and 3.2 mm thick it is a darkish colour and clearly has pictures on it of Britannia and George. It is easy to see the words Britannia and George aswell as the date I have been told this coin cannot exist but it is right here in my hand also on allexperts someone else has asked the same thing in 2010.

Hi Sam,
You have a British 1 penny dated 1797. These are commonly called "cartwheel" pennies beacuse the legends are on a raised circle around both sides of the coin. The 2 pence coin of this year has the same design, but is larger size. The 9 in the date often looks like a small 0 when the coins are heavily worn. In this condition it is only worth a couple of dollars.
Here is a picture of one in mint condition:
Thanks for the question! =)

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dmitry Livshits

My specialty is world coins from the 18th to 20th centuries, primarily non-US foreign coins and related areas such as errors and exonumia (tokens, medals, etc.). I can answer questions relating to identification, grading, selling, preservation and evaluation of such items. In addition to catalog value, I can give you the practical market value and trends for specific types of coins. I will also take questions regarding counterfeits (both modern and antique) and on how to identify them. I am NOT knowledgeable in paper money/banknotes, ancient or "shipwreck" coins. Thank you.

Collector of world coins since early childhood. Access to a variety of auction records and reference material. You can also find me on Facebook.

A.S. in Psychology (2006), B.A. in Forensic Psychology (2008), M.A. in Forensic Psychology (2011).