Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1950 D penny and 1963 S penny

1963 D Penny front
1963 D Penny front  

1963 D penny back
1963 D penny back  
Hello. I have a 1950 D Lincoln penny and a 1963 D Lincoln  penny. These Pennys are uncolored. They appear to be snver except for a small spot on the reverse. I have attached some pictures of both pennies. Can you please give me some idea of what these are and what they are worth. Thank you. I will attach the other 2 in an email to you.

Hi Melissa,

Unfortunately, these are nothing special -- somebody has just electroplated them -- something that was done after the coin left the mint.  This is in fact a relatively common practice -- there are actually companies that make insane amounts of money selling no-value common coins that have been plated with a couple cents worth of gold, silver, or platinum, put into fancy packaging, and sold to unknowledgable people using tricky phrases in their advertising -- really rather sad.

Anyhow, to a coin collector, your coins would be considered altered, and would have no collector value.  You may be able to find someone to give you a dollar or so as a novelty item.

I hope this helps,

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore

My strong familiarity with all U.S. Mint coins, extensive reference library, and close relationships with many other dealers allows me to identify just about any coin made in the USA. I receive regular updates to all the current price guides -- both wholesale & retail -- to provide accurate values. So, with a good description or pictures, I should be able to identify and value any U.S. coin you have.

I've been a coin dealer since the 1980's and a coin collector since the 1960's. I specialize in U.S. Silver Coins and have an active online website -- The Working Man's Rare Coins -- -- offering information and inventory in U.S. coins.

Organizations I belong to :
American Numismatic Association Member #187770
Michigan State Numismatic Society Member #8255
Florida United Numismatics Member #19710
Monroe Coin Club Treasurer
Lincoln Coin Club Board Member
WINS Member #14
CoinMasters Member #1814

Frequently Asked Questions :
I have created a Frequently Asked Questions page on my website, where you may be able to get an immediate answer to your question. You can find the page here :

BBA from Adrian College