Coin and Paper Money Collecting/offset 1980 nickel

QUESTION: hello , I am inquireing , about a nickel I have , based on the following , 1980 [p] ,offset 20 to 30 percent , [date is cut in half] and ,not struck well , coin is bent , does not lay flat , die crack that runs 25 % of nickel reverse side , this is a offset , damaged by mint , coin I would like to send ,to have graded , is this legal to own ? the condition is uncirculated , steps are full ... john

ANSWER: Hi John,

It's absolutely legal -- no worries there.  Prettymuch the only coins that are illegal, are those that have been altered to defraud somebody.

Grading service websites :

I hope this helps,

QUESTION: thanks Dan , one more question , the offset looks like it happened when the obverse was struck , did they strike the obverse and the reverse at different times ? the front of the nickel has the offset to the rite [ at date ], the backside has the offset to the left of Monticello , the word united cut in half , and to top it all off the front and back are not equal to each other. if holding the coin heads up ,top of jeffersons head to the top ,and than flipping coin around, the reverse's image is 20% rotated ?  john

Now that's some weird %^$+ John.  It's not possible to strike one side at a time, so I don't know how this could have been made.  Only think I can suggest is that it has been altered after it was minted somehow.  If you have a magnifier, check each side closely for a seam, located just inside the raised rim on one side or the other.  If you find one, this would indicate that the coin has been altered.  It would still be legal, just weird.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore

My strong familiarity with all U.S. Mint coins, extensive reference library, and close relationships with many other dealers allows me to identify just about any coin made in the USA. I receive regular updates to all the current price guides -- both wholesale & retail -- to provide accurate values. So, with a good description or pictures, I should be able to identify and value any U.S. coin you have.

I've been a coin dealer since the 1980's and a coin collector since the 1960's. I specialize in U.S. Silver Coins and have an active online website -- The Working Man's Rare Coins -- -- offering information and inventory in U.S. coins.

Organizations I belong to :
American Numismatic Association Member #187770
Michigan State Numismatic Society Member #8255
Florida United Numismatics Member #19710
Monroe Coin Club Treasurer
Lincoln Coin Club Board Member
WINS Member #14
CoinMasters Member #1814

Frequently Asked Questions :
I have created a Frequently Asked Questions page on my website, where you may be able to get an immediate answer to your question. You can find the page here :

BBA from Adrian College