Coin and Paper Money Collecting/old coin

hi i have a silver coin with a emblam on the front with the words aguada de sao bras and fevereiro 1488 and on the back it says DIAS 88 with a sailing ship on it. the coin has a rim arond it sothe coin has a ridge that stands out. is this the real thing and has it got value ?

Hi Paul,
This is one medallion from a set of 4 made in 1988 to commemorate the 500th anniversary of Bortolomeu Dias sailing around the Cape of Good Hope. The coins were made from steel, bronze and alloy. The one you have is alloy of mixed metals, but they are not made of silver. The one medallion alone without the complete set is worth only a few dollars.
Thanks for the question! =)

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dmitry Livshits

My specialty is world coins from the 18th to 20th centuries, primarily non-US foreign coins and related areas such as errors and exonumia (tokens, medals, etc.). I can answer questions relating to identification, grading, selling, preservation and evaluation of such items. In addition to catalog value, I can give you the practical market value and trends for specific types of coins. I will also take questions regarding counterfeits (both modern and antique) and on how to identify them. I am NOT knowledgeable in paper money/banknotes, ancient or "shipwreck" coins. Thank you.

Collector of world coins since early childhood. Access to a variety of auction records and reference material. You can also find me on Facebook.

A.S. in Psychology (2006), B.A. in Forensic Psychology (2008), M.A. in Forensic Psychology (2011).