Coin and Paper Money Collecting/old coin

Question
hi i have a silver coin with a emblam on the front with the words aguada de sao bras and fevereiro 1488 and on the back it says DIAS 88 with a sailing ship on it. the coin has a rim arond it sothe coin has a ridge that stands out. is this the real thing and has it got value ?

paul

Answer
Hi Paul,
This is one medallion from a set of 4 made in 1988 to commemorate the 500th anniversary of Bortolomeu Dias sailing around the Cape of Good Hope. The coins were made from steel, bronze and alloy. The one you have is alloy of mixed metals, but they are not made of silver. The one medallion alone without the complete set is worth only a few dollars.
Thanks for the question! =)

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dmitry Livshits