Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1888/7 penny?

Indian head
Indian head  
I have an 1888 indian head penny that appears to be the 1888 over 7. It has the marking under the 8, but I am not sure if that is enough to ensure what it is. Please look at the attached picture and let me know what you think, and any information that you know about it if possible. Thank you

Hi Seth,

Thanks for your question. To help you here I would need a high resolution photo at least at 2x the normal size of the coin. The photo that you sent is about 1/5th the size of the actual coin so I would not be able to determine if you have the 8/7 variety.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

David McConaghy

I can answer most questions about coin identification, grading and counterfeit detection. I can answer questions about US and Foreign coins & currency, ancient coins too.

30 years experience as a collector and dealer in rare coins ANA Numismatic Scholar Owner of New England Coin Exchange I have been buying and selling coins in RI for over 30 years

Professional Coin Grading Service - PCGS National Guaranty Corporation - NGC American Numismatic Association - ANA

Cityscape Merchant Circle Numismatic News eBay Providence Journal Bulletin All Experts

Numismatic Scholar Certificate - American Numismatic Association BSEE - New England Institute of Electronics