Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1931 US quarter

My husband found a 1931 US quarter in our driveway. It's in poor condition, but the date is easy to read. It's got "Liberty" across the top with picture of George Washington. The back has the picture of an eagle.
We are reading on your page that there are no 1931 quarter dollars. What is it that we have and how do we find out what it's worth?

Hi Cathy,

You have either an altered coin (like maybe a 1934 that was altered to look like 1931), or a privately minted fantasy coin.  In either case, it's now just a novelty item.  It may be silver, though, which would be worth about $3.50

I hope this helps,

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore

My strong familiarity with all U.S. Mint coins, extensive reference library, and close relationships with many other dealers allows me to identify just about any coin made in the USA. I receive regular updates to all the current price guides -- both wholesale & retail -- to provide accurate values. So, with a good description or pictures, I should be able to identify and value any U.S. coin you have.

I've been a coin dealer since the 1980's and a coin collector since the 1960's. I specialize in U.S. Silver Coins and have an active online website -- The Working Man's Rare Coins -- -- offering information and inventory in U.S. coins.

Organizations I belong to :
American Numismatic Association Member #187770
Michigan State Numismatic Society Member #8255
Florida United Numismatics Member #19710
Monroe Coin Club Treasurer
Lincoln Coin Club Board Member
WINS Member #14
CoinMasters Member #1814

Frequently Asked Questions :
I have created a Frequently Asked Questions page on my website, where you may be able to get an immediate answer to your question. You can find the page here :

BBA from Adrian College