Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1943d zinc penny

it stuck to a magnet? that was one of the tests suggested, is it worth finding someone to check it out? Also I have approx. (200) 1950-64 dimes, (14) dimes in the 40's, (18) 40's liberty dimes,a 1906 India head penny and some 40's/ early 50's nickles, plus a mason jar full of feather pennies.......where should I go, live in the San Francisco bay area (East Bay)-suggestions, is it worth it?

Thank you

Hi Steve,

The 1943 penny is actually made of steel and coated with zinc -- that's why it sticks to a magnet -- that's normal.  They made aover a billion of these steel pennies -- average value is about a nickel.

The number of dimes minted went way up from the mid 1930's on, so all those dimes you listed are going to be considered common in circulated condition -- their value will be about $1.50 each.

1906 is not a rare date for Indian Head cents -- one in average condition will be worth about a dollar.

Nickels from the 40's and 50's are really common -- you can go ahead and spend those.  EXCEPT if they're dated from 1942 to 1945 AND they have a big P, D, or S letter ABOVE the building on the back -- this indicates they are made of silver and will be worth about 80 cents apiece.

As for the mason jar of pennies, those are actually wheat ears on the back, so they are known as wheat pennies.  These generally go for about 2 1/2 cents apiece, unless you have one of the rarer dates.  Prettymuch anything from 1934 to 1958 will be common.  Anything you have from 1933 or older you should seperate and have looked at.

You can use the following page to find ANA member dealers where you can take your stuff :

I hope this helps,

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore

My strong familiarity with all U.S. Mint coins, extensive reference library, and close relationships with many other dealers allows me to identify just about any coin made in the USA. I receive regular updates to all the current price guides -- both wholesale & retail -- to provide accurate values. So, with a good description or pictures, I should be able to identify and value any U.S. coin you have.

I've been a coin dealer since the 1980's and a coin collector since the 1960's. I specialize in U.S. Silver Coins and have an active online website -- The Working Man's Rare Coins -- -- offering information and inventory in U.S. coins.

Organizations I belong to :
American Numismatic Association Member #187770
Michigan State Numismatic Society Member #8255
Florida United Numismatics Member #19710
Monroe Coin Club Treasurer
Lincoln Coin Club Board Member
WINS Member #14
CoinMasters Member #1814

Frequently Asked Questions :
I have created a Frequently Asked Questions page on my website, where you may be able to get an immediate answer to your question. You can find the page here :

BBA from Adrian College