Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1974 D Penny Error

I recently stumbled upon a 1974 D penny where Lincoln head is shaped like he is wearing a Jewish cap (for a better lack of word) and he is a scarf.  Is this penny worth something?

Hi Lan,

There were several different types of alterations inflicted on Lincoln cents back in the '70s -- whether it was Lincoln smoking a pipe or cigarette, a set of 50 different state outlines, an image of Lincoln facing an added image of John F. Kennedy (usually attached to a card listing their "Astonishing Coincidences"), or your alteration.

These novelty items have a value of a dollar or two, if you can find an interested buyer.

I hope this helps,

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore

My strong familiarity with all U.S. Mint coins, extensive reference library, and close relationships with many other dealers allows me to identify just about any coin made in the USA. I receive regular updates to all the current price guides -- both wholesale & retail -- to provide accurate values. So, with a good description or pictures, I should be able to identify and value any U.S. coin you have.

I've been a coin dealer since the 1980's and a coin collector since the 1960's. I specialize in U.S. Silver Coins and have an active online website -- The Working Man's Rare Coins -- -- offering information and inventory in U.S. coins.

Organizations I belong to :
American Numismatic Association Member #187770
Michigan State Numismatic Society Member #8255
Florida United Numismatics Member #19710
Monroe Coin Club Treasurer
Lincoln Coin Club Board Member
WINS Member #14
CoinMasters Member #1814

Frequently Asked Questions :
I have created a Frequently Asked Questions page on my website, where you may be able to get an immediate answer to your question. You can find the page here :

BBA from Adrian College