Coin and Paper Money Collecting/2000 South Carolina planchet error

Planchet quarter
Planchet quarter  
This coin only has Washington's head and only a shadow of all the other copy. The edges are perfect. I've heard about a dirty or oily blank may cause the details of the coin missing. Been looking online and cannot find a similar one. What would be a fair price?

A filled die is the result of a foreign substance, grease, grime, dirt, etc., getting on the die surface when the coin blanks are struck, leaving a blank or partially blank area on the struck coin. A major filled die on an uncirculated quarter like yours would likely be worth around a $25 to $35 to an interested error collector. If your coin is altered or damaged, it would have no added numismatic value.

Sometimes people try and fool you into thinking you have a real error coin. Here are examples of coins either being altered or damaged.
See link:
See link:

Check eBay listing under US coins in the error category to see if coins like yours are listed and what they are going for. You may also want to check out these links on error coin values:

If you live close to a local shop, they should offer an opinion as to it's value and if it is authentic at no charge. Remember, should you choose to sell your coin, get at least two estimates from professional coin dealers (PNG). I've listed a link for you to find them in your area. Link:

Dealers normally pay between 50% to 60% of retail for items they want.

Please remember to go to the experts site to rate this answer. Check the nomination box on the rating page below any comments you may have.

Thank You and Good Luck in your collecting.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern

I can answer most all questions relating to US coins, tokens, and currency. I'm not strong on world coins or ancients. Primary field of expertise is errors and varieties. Over 55 years experience in coin collecting. Part time dealer since 1976. Employed by McDonnell Douglas/Boeing for over 34 years as an Industrial Engineer/Technical Specialist before retiring in 2002.

Worked weekends for "Lonesome" John in the late 1960's to mid 1970's processing error coins, packaging, and preparing orders. Worked with John Devine and Fred Weinberg on several California Error A Rama's in the early 1970's. Served as display judge at annual Error-A-Rama coin shows. Opened and operated mail order coin business DBA "CAL ERRORS" in 1976. Contributor to Alan Herbert's "Official Price Guide To Mint Errors" and Fivaz/Stanton "Cherrypickers' Guide". Worked Saturdays at Huntington Beach Coin Exchange 1980-1999. Had table and sold coins at a number of coin and gun shows in So CA, AZ and NV. Sell coins, tokens and currency on Facebook. Past "Errorscope" Editor. Presently CONECA Examiner.

Errorscope, Numismatic News, Civil War Token Journal, Error and Variety News

AA Degree LBCC pre Engineering, 1964 BS Degree CSULB Ind Technology, 1968

1st Place EAR Trophy for Civil War Token Errors, NLG Author of Year Award for best monthly coin column "Error News and Views" in small Numismatic paper, owned and published by Ray Anthony.