Coin and Paper Money Collecting/2009 $100 bill miscut

Question
2009 $100
2009 $100  
hello, my wife is a banker and she found an error not in a fresh Fed Res strap. it is a 2009 hundred dollar bill with almost half the bill above still attached...both bills have the same serial number.....that is if the 3000 numbers between the bill and the one below and above is still the case. I cannot find any comparable errors on the internet. any idea on value. Is it something I need to adjust my insurance coverage for?

Answer
That is a neat find.  These have only been circulating for about six months.  So errors are still few and far between.  I think your error should be worth in excess of $3,000 today.  Once a few billion more of these are printed then the odds are that the error will be less rare and worth considerably less money.  I would investigate selling it while it is still fairly unique.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Manning Garrett