Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Diamond House Kimberly token and sovereign coin holder

Question
Sovereign coin holder
Sovereign coin holder  
QUESTION: I  inherited an undated Diamond House Kimberly token and a brass sovereign coin holder from my grandfather (1879-1956). I believe the token was issued by Henderson & Co, drapers of Kimberley in 1896 when they took over the Diamond House. What was the purpose of these tokens? Were they given to valued customers? This token was in a brass sovereign coin holder. Were the token and coin holder issued together? Where can I read more about this company and the tokens?

Eduard

ANSWER: Hi Eduard,
Does the token by any chance have a portrait of Queen Victoria facing left on one side? If so then I can direct you to some good information on it, and it would also be a very rare token. It was not issued together with a sovereign holder.
Thanks for the question! :)

QUESTION: Queen Victoria's head faces left on the other side of the Diamond House token. Ia looking forward to the reference to more information on the token.

Where can I try to get information about the coin holder?

Thank you very much for your making your expertise available to uninformed people like me.

Best wishes

Eduard

Answer
Hi again,
You can find reference materials and historical information about your token here: http://www.tokencoins.com/tokens.htm#diah

As for the coin holder, this would have been a privately made item. So unless there are some identifying maker's mark or other information stamped or engraved, it would not be possible to get any solid information on it.

Thanks again for the question! =)

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dmitry Livshits