Coin and Paper Money Collecting/ERROR $1 BILL

Question
I HAVE A $1 BILL WITH THE SEALS AND THE SERIAL #'S ON THE BACK - I BELIEVE THIS TO BE CONSIDERED A 3RD PRINT ERROR - FROM WHAT I HAVE READ. BUT THE MAIN QUESTION IS - IT IS ISSUE SERIES 1981A SIGNED BY KATHERINE ORTEGA - SHE DIDN'T BECOME TREASURER UNTIL SEPTEMBER 1983. WHY IS SHE SIGNING A 1981A $1 BILL?

Answer
Beverly:

The signatures are correct. Currency dates do not match the actual print time. From http://wiki.answers.com/ "The "A" next to the date on a US bill usually means it's the second issue in a particular series. Unlike the dates on coins, dates on US bills don't indicate the year it was issued. Instead, the date indicates when a particular "series" was first started.

Up till 1974, a "series" normally included all bills with a particular design. The first bills in a series had no letter by the date. When a new Secretary of the Treasury or US Treasurer was appointed, an A would be added to the date. If another officer was appointed the letter would change to a B, and so on. The most extreme example was the 1935 series of $1 silver certificates. The same design was used from 1935 to 1965 and the series letters went up to H.

In 1974 the policy was changed so that a new series date would be used whenever a new Secretary of the Treasury takes office, and a letter is added only when a new Treasurer is appointed. Because of that, series letters now rarely go beyond B or C."

Your 1981A note was printed from Printed March 1984 through July 1985. Signatures: Ortega-Regan. See: http://www.uspapermoney.info/serials/f1981as.html

Please remember to go to the experts site to rate this answer. Check the nomination box on the rating page below any comments you may have.  

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern