Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1889 Indian head error? extra 8 or S

error coin
error coin  
QUESTION: Ibwas going though my collection today and found this .. I have tried but can not find anything like this. To me it looks like an extra 8 at the end of the date. Thank you in advance.

ANSWER: Kayla:

Based on photo supplied, my best guess is that it is damaged, and not a mint error/variety. The edge or rim appears slightly distorted by the "added number". If real, the number would be raised, unless it was a split off from a struck coin, in which case, it would be reversed or struck inward. The process, if happening in the mint, would not distort the rim.  As an damaged coin, it would have no added numismatic value.

Sometimes people try and fool you into thinking you have a real error coin. Here are examples of coins either being altered or damaged.
See link:
See link:

Check eBay listing under US coins in the error category to see if coins like yours are listed and what they are going for. You may also want to check out these links on error coin values:

If you live close to a local shop, they should offer an opinion as to it's value and if it is authentic at no charge. Remember, should you choose to sell your coin, get at least two estimates from professional coin dealers (PNG). I've listed a link for you to find them in your area. Link:

Dealers normally pay between 50% to 60% of retail for items they want.

Please remember to go to the experts site to rate this answer. Check the nomination box on the rating page below any comments you may have.

another pic
another pic  

one more
one more  
QUESTION: Does this image being closer help. It does not look as if someone could have done this due to you can see it is raised and is the same height as the other letters and number.

I looked at the additional photos. Sorry, but I stand with the original answer that the coin is likely damaged. The area you indicate that has what appears to be an added number is likely two very small punches (such as a little nail hammered into the surface twice, overlapping each other) on the coin surface near the edge of the coin that malformed the metal. The small punches were close enough together to form what appears (to you) to be an added "8".

I know that is not what you want to hear. You wish it were a new variety worth more than the coin value. In my opinion, without holding the coin, all I can do is give you an answer on what I see. If you are convinced it's a real variety, either take it to a coin shop, or show, and have the coin looked at by several individuals there. You can also submit the question to the yahoo error collectors group,  with photos for additional comments by error collectors. Another option is to ask another expert at AllExperts. The choice is  yours, but I still believe the coin to be damaged. Best of luck to you in your collecting.  

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern

I can answer most all questions relating to US coins, tokens, and currency. I'm not strong on world coins or ancients. Primary field of expertise is errors and varieties. Over 55 years experience in coin collecting. Part time dealer since 1976. Employed by McDonnell Douglas/Boeing for over 34 years as an Industrial Engineer/Technical Specialist before retiring in 2002.

Worked weekends for "Lonesome" John in the late 1960's to mid 1970's processing error coins, packaging, and preparing orders. Worked with John Devine and Fred Weinberg on several California Error A Rama's in the early 1970's. Served as display judge at annual Error-A-Rama coin shows. Opened and operated mail order coin business DBA "CAL ERRORS" in 1976. Contributor to Alan Herbert's "Official Price Guide To Mint Errors" and Fivaz/Stanton "Cherrypickers' Guide". Worked Saturdays at Huntington Beach Coin Exchange 1980-1999. Had table and sold coins at a number of coin and gun shows in So CA, AZ and NV. Sell coins, tokens and currency on Facebook. Past "Errorscope" Editor. Presently CONECA Examiner.

Errorscope, Numismatic News, Civil War Token Journal, Error and Variety News

AA Degree LBCC pre Engineering, 1964 BS Degree CSULB Ind Technology, 1968

1st Place EAR Trophy for Civil War Token Errors, NLG Author of Year Award for best monthly coin column "Error News and Views" in small Numismatic paper, owned and published by Ray Anthony.